SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnb352_gw

Watering Zoysia - frequency

johnb352
13 years ago

It will have been one month this weekend since I planted Zoysia seed in our back yard. And one week since we did the sides and front in Zoysia sod. Both are doing well. The weeds in the back yard are doing even better, but that's another subject.

I live in central Florida, the soil is quite sandy.

I pulled up the corner of a piece of sod last night, and saw lots of new roots, hanging down almost 2 inches. The lawn looks green and healthy, with a little brown along the ends of the pieces of sod.

We are on city water. Haven't gotten the first bill yet, but I'm sure it is going to be shocking. The public works department left a card in the front door yesterday with a hand written note saying "high water usage". I guess just a courtesy, in the event someone has a leaky irrigation system that they somehow don't know about.

We have been getting little to no rain the last 3 weeks. I started out watering the back (seeded) part, 15 minutes, 3 times a day. Yesterday I changed that to once a day.

I watered in the new sod last weekend until the ground under the sod was completely soaked. Since then I've been watering it at 5:30 a.m. for 25 minutes.

I'd like to not water any more than I have to. As it is, I'm sure the water is going to end up costing more than the sod, seed, and straw, put together.

What is the suggested frequency for sod and new seed at this point? When and how much can I cut back?

Thanks.

Comments (3)