SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mobileduck

Lawn chaos in San Francisco

mobileduck
11 years ago

Recently moved into a new house on the western edge of San Francisco (Outer Parkside neighborhood) . . . we're 11 blocks from the beach and about 1.5 miles across Lake Merced (as the crow flies) from The Olympic Club.

We've a 375 sq foot lawn that has some issues. There was a pretty heavy gopher infestation which we've dealt with (my wife learned how to trap and bagged five of them - no issues since) but this left a good deal of peaks and valleys in the lawn.

We reseeded in the beginning of July, but after reading this forum I'm now of the belief that was one of several mistakes we've made. There are a lot of bare patches, a lot of crab grass and fox tail, and what seems to be several types of grass growing (though I'm not too good at telling them apart - I can spot fescue, not sure about the rest.)

When we reseeded we used a water saver RTF blend that was recommended by a well regarded local gardening shop (Sloat Garden Center.) When it first came in, it came in beautifully, though it clumped very thickly in some places and came in very thin or not at all in others. However, many of the spots where it came in, it soon turned brown and died off altogether. Other spots are doing great.

I've had a couple people theorize that it's the work of lawn grubs, and that I should let loose some nematodes. But before I go any further, I wanted to see if I could get some opinions of the board here.

The soil is pretty sandy. The first couple three inches is good, has good worm levels, is black, etc. But you get below there and it's mostly sand. (This whole part of SF was built on sand dunes.) And in a lot of spots where the gophers really went to town, they brought a lot of sand to the surface. So when we reseeded, we laid down about 12 cu feet of forest mulch. I also used a hand aerating tool to aerate before I pitched the seeds.

We may have been a bit heavy with the water, watering once a week and getting an inch down. But when the new grass started going brown we tried watering a bit more, so I don't know if instead we're dealing with a fungus issue that we're exacerbating.

For anyone who doesn't know this area, it can be foggy. Though we're in a nanoclimate here in my several block area where we do tend to get more sun/less fog than just 10 blocks north of us.

All in all, I'm look for advice. I was leaning towards tilling, but after reading a lot of posts, that seems like a bad idea. I'm OK with the physical labor/process of top-dressing to fill in the low spots/improve the soil, and cutting open the turf and lowering down some high spots the gophers left that grew over.

-What should I do about the foxtail/crab grass? (I'm going to have a hard time convincing my wife to do anything that involves chemicals - we've a four year old daughter.)

-When we reseed, what variety should we use?

-What preparations should I perform on the lawn? (Note, any equipment needs to come in through my garage and through a standard doorway, I've no street access from the yard. This is one of those classic San Francisco row houses with the garage on the ground floor and living quarters over.)

-Does it appear like I have grubs?

-Any idea what caused the new grass to die off?

-Should we only water 1" every two weeks? Every Month?

-Do I need to further boost the soil?

-What month should I reseed?

Thanks in advance for any help. I read through a ton of posts, but most seem to relate to lawn care in areas with very different soil and weather from mine.

Comments (13)