SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njula

Grass alternative for shady med/high traffic area?

14 years ago

Hello everyone. I am desperately looking for something to plant in a shady area that our dog seems to enjoy trampling. We live just outside of Denver, CO and because we have a small yard and it's so shady, we aren't necessarily looking for something terribly drought-tolerant, although it's definitely a plus.

I am open to ideas. I know I said grass-alternatives, but if someone knows of a grass that would fit the bill, please let me know. We tried planting white clover and while it sprouted, it hasn't really taken off. It's all thin and wispy-looking and hasn't gotten much taller than an inch or so. We'd love to do moss or something like that, but it seems to be really, really expensive based on my research thus far. I am not, however, willing to put down mulch or rocks in this area - our yard is small and cozy and I'd like to keep it green.

I don't really care about having to mow, etc. As long as it'll grow in a shady, med/high traffic area, I'm willing to grow it. Unfortunately, the worst of it is right next to the dog door and so there is often a lot of mud getting tracked through our house. Either I spend my time cleaning carpets or taking care of the lawn...bet you can guess which I'd rather do!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH