SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcjames_gw

So frustrated with lawn

KCJames
12 years ago

1. Where you live? Kansas City, Missouri

2. What type of grass you have? No clue but not much of it

3. What products you have applied to your lawn, and how much? These include fertilizer, herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, etc. None

4. How often and how long you irrigate? I don't

5. Is the lawn established, or have you recently seeded/re-seeded or added sod? If so, when? Well it was there when I moved in :)

6. At what height you mow and how often? Weekly -- more on this below.

7. Results of soil test if applicable. No test yet

8. Entire lawn is affected or a specific area(s)? Being swamped by a particular weed with a broad pair shaped leaved weed. Its spreading like wildfire ...

9. If it is a specific area, what is different about this area? This can include: Shade, standing water, insects/pests, weeds, moss, rocks, heavy traffic, etc. Also, if the problem area is ring-shaped or spreading in any way.

Despite not being in a specific area the lawn conditions are the same throughtout. I have 21 trees surrounding or within the lawn, not much light in summer. The soil seems very compacted and cracked but the grass is there and growing but being overtaken by weeds. It is thin in spots, patchy, clumpy.

10. If your problem is with weeds, what type of weeds? Not figured that out yet.

11. How long you have noticed this problem and it is recurring?

Solution:

Tis newish this year

12. Do you have a preference towards a synthetic or organic solution?

Organic - or at least low on non-toxic. I want my daughter to be able to play out there.

13. Past efforts to remedy the problem.

Well ..... my father and father in law both told me to cut the grass super short and the weeds would die. Result - stunted grass growth, and the weeds are celebrating.

14. Are any solutions not feasible? (hand pulling weeds for 2+ acres, daily watering, etc.)

Hand pulling is just going going to work -- the yard is very big and I have somewhat limited time.

In reading through the FAQs here out of pure desperation I noted that it said I should cut my grass on the highest possible setting or at least 3". I had been told the opposite and man it has backfired. After weeks of going out and mowing 1-2 times a week I was frustrated to the point of rage and abandoned mowing when I saw how poor my lawn looked. I am just so desperating frustrated I almost want to call somebody in and just start again.

I don't want a perfect lawn but I would like to have good coverage and healthy grass and I just don't know what I am doing. Cutting the grass short seems to have created more problems. I have noted to the 3" or highest setting recommendation on your site and intend to follow it. I'm looking for some pointers to resurrect my yard. I was hoping just to maintain the grass with mowing till the fall and then aereate, reseed and fertilize - the soil is clay (clay county go figure).

I have tried to figure out what the weed is but have not managed to find it.

Where do I start. I feel like taking some pictures of the lawn so you can see the weeds, and the levels of coverage and the get a better idea of what I am up against ... would this be helpful?

Any advice would be helpful, right now I am struggling with the motivation to go and rescue my mower from the lawn, I abandoned mowing just now when I saw all the weeds that have come up after the latest batch of rain ... very demoralized.

Comments (6)