SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briankent_gw

Lawn Not Greening, Not Holding Water - Do I Start Over?

BrianKent
12 years ago

Hey all! I've been lurking here for a while, lots of good info. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping somebody can guide me on. Short version: I want to heal + level + strengthen my lawn!

First off, I linked some pics of my lawn at the bottom of the post, maybe those will help.

So, bullet points: 6-7 year-old entry-level neighborhood, we've been here 2 years. Developer pretty much just slapped sod over the rocky backfill that they used to level the lot. Pretty sure it's fescue. Sprinkler system is shallow, too many heads, already pulled out a whole edge to build a fence, still too many heads. Lawn just didn't green up last year, I think it doesn't hold water on the sandy fill. Very shallow roots when I've pulled up sections.

I'd like to get back on track with my lawn, whether that's new care, new sod, or new seed. I'm young enough and a teacher, so I've got the time and the energy to do what I need to do Maybe not much cash, though - again, teacher.

First priority is to get lawn GREEN and healthy. I want a lush, soft grass for my little kids to roll in. Second is to get it LEVEL in the backyard - it's uneven from sunken spots, "valleys" above the water lines, etc. Third is to get rid of black medic, clover, and tons of little white gnats.

Front is level enough but dry. Aerated and fertilized last month, had plenty of rain since (surprising for the High Desert), but still dusty under the roots. Can't really tell if there's too much thatch, it's not that thick according to the Internet. Back is bumpy, uneven, compacted right off the patio, full of gnats.

If I had to, I'd tear it out, re-set sprinklers, build good soil, level it (darn it!), and seed it. I just don't know if that's necessary or the best way to go. If you've read this far and have any advice, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn Pics

Comments (3)