SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnieappleseed

If you can't beat em....just eat 'em

donnieappleseed
13 years ago

It's sometimes too frustrating to keep the bugs out.

We have one local guy here who talks about how to eat the insects....

http://www.davidgeorgegordon.com/

In fairness, though, for things like apple maggot larvae I think it would be better to process, pasteurize, or cook the apples if they are infested....they probably don't hurt anything and the standard non-original joke is "hah! they just add more protein"

But do we know for absolute certainty that the bugs in our fruit don't hurt anything? I wrote the CDC in Atlanta and got something of a non-answer to the question I posed to them last week.

I know a local entomologist and surgeon who have zero fears about eating wormy apples....but I know of no one who can give me a definitive answer other than the supposition that if a fruit has decomposed enough from an infestation, then there could be a bacterial problem in certain advanced stages.

I would like to hear if anyone knows of any research on the problem.....do we absolutely know for sure that it's okay to eat wormy apples? If so, then maybe we should stop spraying....seriously....this spraying and bagging is a headach. If we do not know of the safety issue, then what is a reasonable and non-paranoid response with how to deal with imperfect fruit?

Comments (9)