SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arjo_reich

Turf type recommendations...

arjo_reich
16 years ago

My lot has several Pin Oak trees that look like they're well into their 30's in terms of age - and while I hate the trash they *constantly* drop, I'm not going to get rid of them.

I do, however, need to choose a seed that will do well in the perpetual semi-shaded environment that this provides. The entire lawn, through some part of the day will accumulate about 4-6 hours of direct or brightly screened sun on it but the rest of the time it's going to be shaded from the pin oaks.

I've always been partial to the soft, tall fescues commonly used up in suburbia around Metro Detroit but I'm not sure that it could survive the heat down here in the Central Basin of the Nashville area??? Zone wise, Detroit and Nashville are the same, but I'm very new to lawn care beyond the obligatory mowing of the yard.

I'm slowly working on building up the content and the quality of the soil that makes up my lawn - as I currently only have about 12-14" of a hard, compacted acidic/silicate red clay on top of limestone rock-shelves.

This weekend I'm hoping to get a soil sample out to the local county exchange service, but having a game plan for what type of turf I'm considering should help my choices in amendments, etc. down the road.

Thanx in advance, really appreciate any and all insight...

Regards,

R. Joe Reich

Comments (16)