SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdboyhg

Starting a home orchard

birdboyhg
15 years ago

I am a college student who would eventually like to own a farm. On my farm I would like a small orchard. Next semester (my sr. year) I am going to do an independent study and learn plant propagation techniques. One technique is grafting and I decided to graft the fruit trees I would like for my orchard. I am having trouble deciding on cultivars of the various drupes and pomes. For apples, I am thinking... honeycrisp, ginger gold, gravenstein, McIntosh, melrose, spartan, winesap, macoun, granny smith, and an heirloom variety grown from seed by one of my professors. I found semi-dwarf rootstock for sale and plan to buy 75 rootstocks (5 for each variety of apple and the rest for pears). When it comes to pears, peaches(hoping for a mix of yellow and white flesh), plum, apricot,(50 semi dwarf rootstocks for the peaches, plums, and apricots) and cherry(15 semi dwarf rootstocks for sweet and sour cherries), I have no idea what to grow. Does anyone have any suggestions for good cultivars of apple, peach, plum, pear, and sweet cherry( I am thinking montmorency for pie cherry). I live in a zone 6a, but must be hardy to zone 5b just to be safe.

By the way, once I plan on the variety('s'), I am also looking for those cultivars' scion wood, so If you have some to trade or to sell, email me.

Comments (11)