SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsgarden

Level of difficulty of various fruits in Southern MD

13 years ago

Hello all,

I have been reading quite a few garden web posts and feel like I have learned quite a bit (considering how little time). I was hoping to get some input on some burning questions (links to similar threads are good).

I would like to start a home orchard (I live in Montgomery County) and was wondering how difficult the following are to grow (I fully plan on pruning once a year and I think I'm ok with some preventative natural sprays like bordeaux a few times a year, but no spraying would be great!):

- Disease-Resistant Apples (ie. Liberty, Pristine, Enterprise, William's Pride, etc.) for applesauce purposes (do not have to be pretty :), just tasty)

- Disease-Resistant Pears (ie. Potomac, Blake's Pride, Warren, etc.)

- Sweet Cherries (particularly interested in gold-colored ones if they interest the birds less)

- Plums

- Quince (ie. Aromatnaya)

- Medlars

- Juneberries (sound easy in general except issues w/Cedar Rust and fighting birds off . . .)

Everything I've read so far leads me to believe that jujubes, paw paws,Asian persimmons, figs, hardy kiwis, blueberries, and raspberries are about as easy as it gets.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)