SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bergenjersey

Bagless mowing without a mulching blade?

bergenjersey
15 years ago

I've been searching for some time now to try and find out if this is possible.

First let me say I have a horrible lawn. I've been reading posts on this forum for the past year or so, as well as other sites learning what I can do to improve it.

I have an older craftsman mower that works fine. This isn't mine but this is a picture I found online of pretty much what I have. http://www.fireflower.org/sale/images/mower.jpg

I am planning on getting a mulching blade. There are "mulching kits" that seem to also include a cover for the grass chute, on the inside of the cutting deck, but none that I have found for my model. The mower works fine and I don't want to purchase a new one.

If the bag is removed, a metal piece comes down and covers the outside of the chute. Is that sufficient? Or do I need to do something to keep the clippings from getting in there from the inside?

Also, what would happen if I just go bagless with the regular blade? I'm going to try it soon to see what would happen but I'm curious if others have done this.

I want to get more natural nutrients and moisture back into my lawn and there might be some issues that make composting not feasible. So I want to at least let the clippings just lay on the lawn.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:100872}}

Comments (12)