SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

what can I possibly be doing wrong?

coeng
11 years ago

I am really beginning to question if consumer-purchased lawn care products really work. I moved into my house last August so this is really the first season I've had to manage my lawn.

I've done everything I should reasonably be expected to do. I applied Johnathon Green's MAG-I-CAL in early March, then JG Greenup with Crab Grass Preventer in April, followed by JG Weed and Feed in May, and most recently Grub-Ex two weeks ago. Why does my lawn look so dilapidated. I have clovers everywhere, different color/length grasses popping up here and there and yellow/brown spots now...see pics below. I have a sprinkler system that I activate only when we haven't seen rain for three days so I don't over-water it. When it is enabled it goes on every other day (or when it is forecast to be above 90F on a given day). It goes on at 3am and is off by 6am so the water pressure doesn't affect my morning shower.

I mow on average every 5 days. I was bagging the clippings until about three weeks ago. Now that the growth rate has slowed, I mulch it. I change my mow pattern every cut (I have four different types actually).

Most of my neighbors can afford landscapers so their lawns look a hell of a lot better than mine. However, the landscapers are just cheap laborers that mow the lawn and fertilize in the time it takes me to fill the gas tank on my mower. Oh, I have a Honda HRX217HXA (see link below that I found on YouTube) and I just had the blades sharpened. My wheel height is set at 3 which I believe is just in the middle.

So what the hell am I doing wrong?????

{{gwi:100471}}

{{gwi:100472}}
{{gwi:100473}}
{{gwi:100474}}
{{gwi:100477}}
{{gwi:100478}}
{{gwi:100479}}
{{gwi:100480}}
{{gwi:100481}}
{{gwi:100482}}
{{gwi:100483}}