SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergirl1968

New to shade grass...

soonergirl1968
14 years ago

I bought my house last May and have never had experience with shade grass. I sodded my front yard with zoysia and it is BEAUTIFUL - couldn't be happier (aside from the moles which are another story altogether.) However, the back yard is a nightmare!

I have 38 oak trees so obviously it's shady. Seeded a fescue mix last year, after killing the existing weeds, but didn't consider the dallis grass seed hiding under the surface. Needless to say, I had to kill it all again last fall, reseed and apply pre-emergents to get a handle on the dallis grass. As of this May, my yard was beautiful! Then the brown patch hit. Have applied two rounds of fungicides to get it under control but my lawn looks pretty lousy. So here is/are my question(s)...

1. I found a tall fescue mix call "SummerLawn Plus" which is supposedly brown-patch resistant. Does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.fescue.com/info/turfseed/summerlawnplus.html

2. I just read on this forum about cornmeal - very interested in this.

3. This yard is costing me a FORTUNE! What do I need to do? Here is my tentative plan: Reseed in October and Use Heritage G as a preventative starting in April or May. I don't want to continue to waste money with poor results.

A couple other factors you might need to know...

My back yard is about 17,000 SF (about 13,500 grass)

My soil is basically like a sandbox

I'm in Oklahoma City and we have 100+ degree summers with high humidity.

I have an irrigation system which runs off my well

Any advice or plan of attack you can offer would be appreciated. I am determined to figure this out. I have done a TON of research on the internet but would like to know what you think.

Thanks so much!

Comments (20)