SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnb352_gw

Thinking about seeding with Bermuda

johnb352
13 years ago

I live in central Florida. The community we live in is fairly new, so our lawn has only been in for about 2 1/2 years. We have St. Augustine grass.

After all the frost this year, we lost at least 2/3 of our lawn. The back yard is almost all dead. The front is patchy. It's quite bad.

I want to get rid of the St. Augustine. Being a new neighborhood, there are no mature trees - so everyone's lawn gets full sun. And to add to that, we're on city water. Expensive if you have St. Augustine, which can't seem to get enough water.

I've been reading quite a bit in this forum, and on the internet in general, on the different kids of grass for this part of the country. I want something that looks good, so things like Bahia are out. It seems like it's down to Zoysia or Bermuda. I know both will require plenty of maintenance.

Whichever I choose, I'm going to do it by spraying the entire lawn (which isn't a lot of grass at this point) with RoundUp, and then in 2 weeks, roto-till the whole thing. I've read quite a bit on the best way to seed Bermuda, but would be happy to get any advice from anyone who's been there.

So my main question is today is: which will require less water, Bermuda or Zoysia? If it's close, I am leaning towards Bermuda. Water is the big issue here. Because it's metered town water.

I've also heard that Zoysia is slow to get established. Which to me translates into watering frequently for some time to come. Florida does get a fair amount of rain in the summer, but for anyone that lives here, you cannot count on it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.

John

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022