SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windfall_rob

advantages of nursey bed for bench grafts?

windfall_rob
13 years ago

I have done a fair bit top working over the last few years. This spring was planning to make some "bench grafts" for some trees I want and cannot locate...and doing something new is always a pleasure.

As I read up a bit, almost all sources seem to refer to placing the new grafts out into nursery beds for their first year. This makes perfect sense to me if you are producing trees for sale, or working on large numbers of trees where direct planting in orchard blocks is going to leave a number of holes to be filled resulting from failed grafts or weak takes.

But for the home hobbyist who may be doing up 10 trees for the 2 they want it seems like it would be best to place your "best bet" directly into it's permenant location and either pot up or nursery bed the back ups.

Obviously one year old bare roots are the industry standard for planting out, but surely there must be some trauma to a young tree in being relocated and re-establishing? Certainly in the bulk of trees I have put in, growth in the first year after planting is moderate compared to the next.

Has anyone seen side by side studies of trees that have seen this move as compared to a tree that has not? Are there advantages to a nursery bed that I am missing (beside the ability to monitor closely, which a home grower can usually do at a permanent location)?

Comments (4)