SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floweryearth

Roses whose scent carries around the garden...

floweryearth
14 years ago

Hi,

I have been planning my new garden for about two weeks now, and had a question for my rose garden.

I wanted to place some exceptionally fragrant old roses in a border that I could smell from a bench (which will also be inside the border).

The reason for this post is that since I'm a rose newb, I don't know whether the roses I plan on planting will have a scent strong enough to waft to the closely surrounding areas.

On my list, I have La Ville de Bruxelles, Chapeau de Napoleon, Ypsilanti, Belle de Crecy (2), and Felicite Parmentier.

On my alternative list, I have Kazanlik, Autumn Damask, Apothecary's Rose, Semi Plena, and the Cabbage Rose.

At this point, all I want are the most fragrant ones that I will be able to smell without having to stick my nose right in the flower.

If anyone knows if my first list should be close in strength to the second list, please tell me. I want the roses in the first list for the beauty of the blooms, but if their scent doesn't travel, I'll choose the other ones.

Thanks in advance

Comments (63)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths