SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

Yet Another Fruit Pest

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

I'm going to have to put a lock on my gate.

I just got the eighth phone call from a total stranger saying, "Hey, you've got fruit on your trees. You don't mind if I pick some, do you?"

At least they asked, but who knows how many people simply open the gate and go in and help themselves? Where does this idea come from that if they can see it, it is theirs? Please note that nobody to date has asked if they could BUY some fruit.

Also, please note that my trees and yard are well groomed and well-cared for. It does not look like nobody cares what happens to the trees.

If they want fresh fruit, perhaps they could grow a tree for themselves? I pay thousands of dollars and spend many hours each year growing that fruit for my family. If there is any extra, I'd like to sell it and maybe help pay the property taxes. I'm not growing fruit so people in brand new shiny SUV's can have free tree-ripened fruit.

I do donate fruit to the food banks, but there is a difference between can't work and don't want to work. I have no problem with giving fruit to people who can not afford to buy fruit for their kids because they are out of work.

Seriously, I half expect someone to call and request that I come out and pick their free fruit for them.

At least I already have a deer-proof fence that would be difficult to climb over, so all I need to add is a padlock for the gate. I'm just irritated because I shouldn't have to.

Comments (11)