SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
capewillard

Newly seeded lawn coming up weak & thin

15 years ago

Hi all...

I live on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Five weeks ago I seeded 12,000 sq.ft of lawn at my home. I have an irrigation system and used the following products: Jonathan Green Black Beauty fescue seed, JG New seedling fertilizer w/ crab grass preventitive, and lime. The soil was mostly sandy loam. I used a Bobcat machine to spread and level the area. Because of this the soil was extremely compact. The day of seeding I rototilled the entire yard and re-raked. Using a broadcast spreader, I applied about 80lbs of seed followed by the fert and lime (I've since thrown down about another 20lbs by hand in bare or thin areas). We had a good deal of heavy rain the first week the new seed was down. After 8 days I had my first germination. It increased slowly from that day. I am now at 5 weeks and I have new seedlings in all areas, but it is extreemly thin. For the most part there isn't any blades of grass longer than 2". The new seedlings also seem to be pretty weak as I can easily pull them out of the ground. I was watering each zone up to 6 times a day for about 8 minutes per zone. I have cut that back in the past week to see if that helped. I am at a loss for what to do now. The grass that has come up it is mostly pale green. I am still not walking on it as I am afraid I will kill whatever I step on. Please help!!! Re-seed? Same type of seed? Try a split seeder this time? Apply more fertilizer? Change watering schedule? Thanks to anyone for reading my rambling ....

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz