SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
virginia_geoff

Please help with newly seeded lawn!

virginia_geoff
16 years ago

So I have had a few problems with my new lawn, and would like some opinions if possible.

I live in Virginia if that helps.

1. First, I tilled my soil. I have VERy clay-based soil, and despite my best efforts, could only break maybe 4-6" down into the ground.

2. I brought in new top soil at a depth of 1-2" throughout the whole lawn.

3. I seeded 10lbs of a fine fescue mix over approximately 1,000 sqft of ground. (This was done very early october)

4. I covered this with straw.

5. I watered every day until last week when we received about 3" of rain over 3 days. The last rain was on Saturday morning and I havent watered since

Here are my problems:

1. In some places, the lawn is very thick and green. In other places, grass is growing but it seems very thin. I can see the dirt/straw below it. Is this a problem or will it thicken in the spring?

2. Squirrels attacked my lawn and dug around 100 1-2" holes to bury their nuts. I tried carefully reseeding and covering all their holes, but they are relentless. Is there anything I can do?

3. Moles attacked my lawn and dug around 20-40 tunnels and hills. I bought 2 anti-mole hypersonic spikes and inserted them into the ground. I then carefully walked over all the tunnels to press the soil back down. The moles have lessened, but the grass that I walked on doesn't look superb.

4. The grass doesnt seem to be getting very tall. Its maybe 2-4" and has stopped growing up. Is this normal for fine fescue? When should I cut it?

5. When can I lessen up on the watering? Do I still need to water every day or can I water once or twice a week? Its dipping below freezing here at night, does that change my watering schedule? I dont want an ice block

6. The leaves have started falling and are basically covering the majority of the new grass. Should I get these off? Do I rake or use a blower? Is it ok to walk on the grass?

Thanks guys!!!

Comments (10)