SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keithw_gw

Questions RE: Converting to St Augustine (Raleigh) in VB,VA

keithw
14 years ago

I am in VB and am converting to St. Augustine (Raleigh). I actually started sprigging Raleigh late last summer and at the suggestion of someone on this forum gave a shot at some Floratam plugs as well. Unfortunately the Floratam died over the winter. Every single plug. The going is slowwww but steady. I actually found a Raleigh sod farm in NC that I am planning on getting a couple of pallets from next month to create plugs from to try and speed the process along.

A. Is there any way to speed up the growth? Nitrogen? Atrazine? When should I apply?

B. If I am sprigging right into a fescue lawn is the fescue hindering the SA growth. Might Atrazine assist with this as well?

C. Is there any way to get a better success rate from sprigging? I seem to get 1 out of 10 to take it seems.

Part of the problem that I keep running into in trying to convert is the time it takes and the desire to have some kind of decent lawn during the process. Keeping weeds at a minimum in a fescue lawn that is also housing SA is impossible because what works in fescue kills SA and and what works in SA kills fescue! :)

Comments (4)