SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sltkota_gw

Foreclosure, neglected, and bumpy yard

SLTKota
10 years ago

I just purchased my first house as a fixer upper, now that the house is almost done it is time to start on the yard.

The house sat empty for two years as a foreclosure, brush is encroaching on parts of the lawn and it is extremely bumpy from settling (especially over the septic lines). I was also told the bank had some heavy trucks come in to remove part of the trees that fell in a storm.

I don't know where to start. It is so uneven that I have to cut the grass on the second highest deck level to avoid scalping the grass or bottoming out.

My next problem is that the grass has been horribly neglected, I now have it mowed and at least looking like something resembling grass but it is full of clover, weeds, and bare spots.

Do I need to give up, start from scratch, and pay someone to bring in some good dirt (I live in SE Tennessee and the soil is all red clay), level it out and start with new grass? The yard no longer looks like it is abandoned but I am far from proud of it.

Here are a few shots of what I started with and one cell phone picture from yesterday (I was trying to take a picture of the rabbit).

So... ummm... where do I start? :D

Thanks in advance!

-Stuart-

This post was edited by SLTKota on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 9:14

Comments (15)