SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billl_gw

Temporary lawn timing

Billl
13 years ago

I currently have a large bare patch on the side of my house as a result of having a construction dumpster sitting there on and off for a year. The area is slightly sloped. When it rains, it becomes a mudpit, but so far, erosion has not been a problem. Once the renovation is over, I plan on putting in a path and some shubs/perennials so that I don't have to water/mow that side.

The dilemma:

On July 9th, my BIL is getting married and asked if we could have a rehearsal dinner at our place the night before. The plan is to invite all the family and out of town guests over for a casual cookout. Our yard is not huge and there will be several small children running around, so a big mudpit/dirtpatch is highly undesirable.

I'm not looking for a picture perfect lawn, just something that isn't a total eyesore. I also don't want to spend much $$ on this since it is temporary. My plan is to seed the area with a mix of annual and perennial rye. Basically, I have 1 month. The rye should only take a couple days to germinate if I keep it moist. My concern is that the temps are in the 80's and 90's already (Raleigh NC). The new rye will certainly not survive long even with watering. Do you think it can make it a month or should I wait another week or so? Or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Comments (8)