SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlfromthegarden

New Honda: is it worth $$ jump to HRX217VKA?

girlfromthegarden
10 years ago

Okay, I'm pretty much deciding the old HRM215 may need to be replaced, but would like another Honda, based on trusting the one I had to start faithfully and mulch like there's no tomorrow.

There's not much chance of getting a push-only locally, but can get self-propel in various quality levels.

Question: Is it worth about a $200 difference to jump from the HRR216K9VKA with the GCV160 engine, 3-year warranty, but has a deck which can rust, to the HRX217VKA, which gains a 5-year warranty, the GCV190 engine, a lifetime deck, and (allegedly) a leaf-shredding mode, which might be perfect for my gardening needs?

If the price margin buys intrinsic extra quality in several areas, not just the deck, please advise!!!

If the cost diff is more hype than gain, and I can keep the deck on the lower-priced HRR216K9VKA from rusting by following some extra care steps, please instruct me.

I'm willing to pay extra if it makes sense for longevity, but not if there's more to go wrong with the higher-priced HRX217.

I have learned more about mowers (and things I did wrong to not keep mine up on maintenance before this) in the last few weeks from this forum's contributors than I did in ten years of mowing on my own. Help me make a wise purchase?

Comments (14)