SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cz9h3d

Revised honda HRX Smartdrive

cz9h3d
16 years ago

Took my Harmony 1 in for it's 14 year tune-up, and the shot transmission and other items would have been $400! Last fall I briefly considered a HRX217VKA on clearance that I saw for $429, but I wasn't sure about the smartdrive and lack of throttle.

After ruling out a toro super recycler w/personal pace (my yard is all hill) it was either the VKA (smartdrive, no blade/brake clutch) or the HXA (with hydrostatic drive). I thought I was going to get the HXA, but the blade/brake clutch control was terrible! If I thought it was difficult to use, I can't imagine how I'll start training my 10yo to start his lawn career! However I was really surprised with the improvement on the smartdrive (i.e. the thumbdrive). The effort was 1000% easier than the older version sitting next to it, and you can now rotate the entire unit to your desired position. Needless to say the HRX217VKA is now in my shed waiting for my lawn to dry out. Only one evening of reading posts and one visit to the garden center - pretty good for me - I usually like to stretch the research/purchase out for a few months ;)

Comments (13)