SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
astroturfmower

new walk-behind quandry, honda hrx, lawnboy platinum, sr, or push

astroturfmower
14 years ago

Hi, Please help me pick the right mower this time. I have paralyzed myself with indecision by over analyzing this and need some outside opinions and advice. Been reading the forum for a long time, but haven't seen exactly the same situation. My grass however, continues to grow!

I have a little over 1/2 acre, and have retired my 10 year old Toro personal pace recycler. Actually my wife killed it while I was in Afghanistan last year. I wanted to save some time from my usual 2+ hours of mowing, so I went down to the local Cub cadet dealer and nearly bought the 33" walk-behind based on the good reviews, but changed my mind because it was just too big for me and definitely for my wife or son to use if I deploy again.

Back to the forums. I tried rider a few years ago, and definitely prefer to walk. I am 45, but love to run. I want a mower that can go fast if the grass isn;t too high. Should I get a high quality PUSH mower? Backyard is sloped, not a hill, and we still play football back there, and the far back has some bumpy patches because the original owner did not have it sodded. It's all grass, just now real smooth. Any experience with the Honda push mower or an aluminum-decked, Honda engined, push mower?

I am likely to just get a self-propelled because I am reluctant to underbuy and don;t want to regret it next week! Unless someone here can share some experience with pushing for a large yard, especially with a higher quality push mower.

I have seen lots of chat about the self-propelled mowers that I am considering, but not the same questions. For the Honda HRX, I like the composite deck, but also like the LawnBoy Platiinum and Toro SuperRecyclers for their aluminum decks and Honda engines. With the Honda HRX, I like the Smartdrive for the simplicity and one less thing (cruisecontrol box) to break and require expensive repairs, but I wonder if the drive system cruise control and roto-stop are worthy upgrades. The simplicity and variable pace are advantages, but is the fatigue factor and issue with the smart-drive? The smart-drive also has a max speed of 3.6 versus the cruise control's 4.0 mph. Probably not a factor for most, but I like to walk fast if the mower and grass allow for a speedy cut.

For the LawnBoy, I can't tell online of they still make the Platinum series or the commercial 22271 model. The shorter handle and lighter weight appeal to me because the Hondas seem kind of stretched out, and reminded me of driving a station wagon versus a sedan. I do like the versamow and 9" wheels on the HRX.

Can I simply push the self-propelled Honda HRX w/o engaging the self-propel system (going slightly downhill), then engage it help coming uphill? That way I could go fast downhill.

Thanks for reading my long post here. Break's over.

Comments (10)