SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
creno_gw

Need advice for two bad lawn tractors...

creno
12 years ago

lawn tractor 1: Got used, 18.5hp craftsman w/ 42in deck. Ran fine, hard starting. Started to shutdown after 15-20 mins (second season). Took apart carb and checked/cleaned - didn't change anything - hard start and 15-20 min runtime. Parked behind shed. Got another used lawntractor....

lawn tractor 2: Got used (free) 16hp craftsman w 42in deck, plow, bagger, hydrostatic trans. Ran for 2 seasons. Now on season 3 - two weeks ago was mowing and hit a rock on edge of property - continued running, but something didn't feel right. Not running too rough but didn't feel right, ran for 30 mins more. Once I parked it and tried restarting it, it would turn over but no ignition! Never had any problems with starting other then the face that it needs a new flywheel gear.

Ordered parts for mower - figuring it's either a failed coil or a sheered flywheel key. Ordered coil, flywheel puller, flywheel key, head gasket kit (light oil burning), oil tube seal, starter gear set w/new alum flywheel gear.

Today installed new flywheel gear, FYI those rivets holding the original on are the worst to get out! Installed new coil, and reused the same key for testing - it's not sheered. Still not starting, but it's kicks the wrong way after a few revs and stops.

So now what? I understand timing would be expected but the original key was in perfect shape.

And now after reading allot more today I understand that the original mower (still behind shed), could probably be fixed with a valve adjustment and maybe some head carbon cleanup. Thinking of swapping out motors if I have to but wanted any advice on my current no start issue. Any suggestions?

Motor: B&S 28N707-0173 Slightly burns oil (going to redo head gasket)

Has new flywheel gear (original was in bad shape)

Has new coil

Has Spark

Flywheel key checked

Thanks for any reply's

Curtis Reno

PS: Am a novice, but don't mind learning.

Comments (4)