SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danomac63

Garden vs Lawn Tractor; Advice please!

danomac63
13 years ago

Hey All - great resource you've got here, I'm happy to have joined.

We're soon moving to a larger property (primarily a horse property, but we'll be gardening as well), and I'm going to need a tractor. I'm on the fence about what I really need, and I'd love some info and/or recommendations. My prime use for a tractor will be mowing, but I'll also need something I can: A) pull an arena drag with, B) pull a wood or materials cart with, and C) put a blade on for snow removal.

Initially, I've been thinking that I'd want as much power as possible, something in the 24-28HP range, especially given the snow removal need. However, I've been told by a friend that he doesn't think any small tractor will move snow well. He may not be realizing the huge difference between lawn and garden tractors (and hence a tad full of it). Anyone got any input on how well a large garden tractor is going to move snow? I'm not planning on pushing a foot of the white stuff around, save that for the plows, but I'll need something to help keep a long driveway clear during light to moderate snow falls.

Acreage of the new place is nearly 15 acres, but part of that is wooded and a large part is pasture. Actual mowing area that I'll need to regularly tackle is probably 4 acres or so.

I'd appreciate any and all advice on the size of the machine I should be looking at. Feel free to make recommendations on specific machines, if you're so inclined.

Sorry for the long message, but thanks a ton!

dan

//

Comments (5)

Sponsored