SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tegat_gw

Need advice buying quality used lawn tractor

tegat
11 years ago

I have a 1/2 acre property. I know this is not a lot but using a push mower has become a chore. The grass is growing too fast so I have to mow it more than once a week to keep up and fall leaves cleanup is just back-breaking. I live in the northeast and have 6 large (and I do mean large) deciduous trees on the property. I've decided to buy a quality used tractor, budget around $1000.

About half my property is on a 5 degree slope give or take 1 or 2 degrees. I need something that will mow as well as mulch and bag leaves in the fall so I'll need a bagger attachment. One concern I have is going up the slopes with leaves in the bagger. I assume wheel weights are a must but want to have enough power to power over those slopes.

Been doing my research and there are a few I'm looking at right now and need some advice. My criteria is basic: 1. does the job 2. durable 3. parts available

I've narrowed my search down to the following that are available now:

- John Deere 214, $600

- John Deere 165, $900

- John Deere GT242 with bagger, $1200

- John Deere GT225 $1000. Looking at the pics of this one doesn't look like it was well cared for but may still be worth a look. There were some other GT225s and 235s but they were $1800 and above.

- 2 Honda HT3813s. One is in working condition for $800 and the other doesn't start but includes a bagger attachment and looks excellent for $350. If I do look at this one is there a way to gauge if something is really bad like the engine or transmission? Owner says starter turns but doesn't engage. With the 3813s I'm not sure how well this can power over slopes with bags of leaves. I read one comment somewhere of it not having enough power going over slopes but no mention of the grade of slope. I just find these Hondas fascinating. Maybe it's because under the hood looks like that of a mini automobile.

One thing I was wondering about generally is the convenience of the foot pedals for forward/reverse speed like that found on the JD GT225 vs the throttle lever like that found on the JD 165. My property is not flat and open as alluded to above so change of speeds might be frequent.

And finally, is there anything else I should consider?

Comments (8)

Sponsored