SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chad_gardner_gw

Removing dead stubble from Bermuda lawn

Chad_Gardner
10 years ago

A couple of months ago, purchased a home in Arkansas that had been vacant for a year. The bermuda grass (I'm assuming a hybrid variety since it was sodded) had been neglected and mowed very, very high since the owners only returned to the house on weekends a couple times a month. Amazingly enough, the lawn is in pretty good shape with full grass coverage, but since they mowed so high, the grass grew straight up and now I'm dealing with lots of brown stems intermingled in the growing, green grass.

In March, I cut the bermuda lawn as low as I could go with my rotary mower. Thankfully, the lawn is fairly level so I'm able to continue mowing at this height without scalping the yard. I've been mowing every 4-5 days depending on the weather to try to "train" the bermuda grass to grow shorter. My lawn is still full of these brown stems though. Granted, we've had a very cool (if not cold) spring and the grass is just now starting to come in. Will the green grass eventually overtake these brown stems and help break them down into the soil? Or am I stuck with these old brown stems all year long until nature slowly takes its course and breaks them down over time? I may just be impatient since our Spring has been abnormally cool and the grass hasn't truly emerged yet. I'm just wondering what my options might be for removing these old stems or if the new grass will help break them down. I could raise my mower height up a setting and allow the new grass to grow higher. That would just cover up the brown stems though. I'd like to keep a short, bermuda lawn, but if I need to raise my mower setting a level to hide these stems I can. I realize this will be a work in progress since I have to undo the neglect of the previous homeowner. Rome wasn't built in a day...

Comments (14)