SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawnboy20yrs

Looking for F series Lawn Boy parts, new or used

lawnboy20yrs
15 years ago

I was recently given my father's old Lawn Boy, a s21zpnb with the commercial 4hp f series engine and awesome aluminum deck. I was with him 20 years ago when he bought it new for $100, so it's got some sentimental value. Well, it has worked perfectly year after year until a week ago when he said it made a weird noise and just stopped working.

Long story short, I tore the motor down, and the bottom shaft seal was gone. I'm assuming that that is the reason why the needle bearing on the con rod gave out. Well, the needle bearing was basically exploded into the cylinder and several of the needles were embedded in the piston. The conrod broke off too, of course, at the crank. That being said, I'm looking at a rebuild where I'm going to need a few parts... piston, rings, connecting rod, and I'm planning on replacing all the needle bearings + seals.

I'm going to go the "ghetto" route and fill the cylinder gouges with JB Weld and then hone it. I've done it before, and had great results, so I see no reason to buy a whole new jug (unless I can find one for cheap). That being said, I'm trying to see if it's possible to get the parts I need for $100 or less in total. The mower does have sentimental value to me, but it seems absurd to pay three times it's original price for just a few parts to get it running again.

That being said, does anyone on here know of an inexpensively priced parts vendor, or a used parts vendor? I've spent some time looking for short blocks on Ebay and Craigslist, and I'm not having much luck. Anyway, if you guys have any recommendations, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Mark in Indiana

Comments (3)