SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svcmgr

1990 Lawn-Boy F-Series Engine Failure

svcmgr
15 years ago

My 1990 LawnBoy, Model S21ZPN, with F series engine, finally failed this week. I bought it new and have used LawnBoy Brand Oil for the 32:1 fuel mixture from day one.

While mowing this week, I noticed a metallic clinking sound that I thought was coming from the recoil starter assembly. Soon after the noise started the engine slowed and then stopped and the engine seemed to smell odd, as if overheated. I thought this was strange given that the proper fuel mixture was in the tank and the familiar 2-cycle exhaust odor was present while mowing.

When trying to pull the rope to restart, the engine was locked-up, so I manually rotated the blade and the engine easily freed-up and the blade rotated normally. Now the recoil starter cord can be pulled with normal resistance, but the engine will not start, even though spark is present.

Although it has always been used only by me, with proper gas/oil mixture, I suppose after about 19 seasons of Spring/Summer/Fall use, it is just worn out.

Is there any way of viewing and inspecting the piston for signs of fatal damage through the exhaust ports or must the engine be totally disassembled for a decent evaluation for needed repairs or to determine if the engine should be destined for the scrap pile.

If anyone has experienced a similar failure, please let me know of your experience.

Comments (10)