SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bvisailor

Accelerating planting time after pre-emergent

bvisailor
10 years ago

AAAGGGHHH!!! While I was at Lowe's today buying some clay-soil amendment, topsoil, and grass seed to dig up & fill in the bare spots in the back yard that were too packed to grow when they over seeded last fall, our lawn care company came & sprayed pre-emergent!!

I REALLY need to dig up these patches & add the soil amendment now, because we've had lots of rain so it's pretty soft. If I wait, I need a pick-axe to dig into it. There's no such thing as "raking" to scratch into the surface, it requires at least some digging with a shovel, even when soft.

But is there anything I can do about seeding now,(or soon) before it gets too hot to grow anything? I immediately watered the back yard after they left, so I'm hoping I diluted it a bit so it'll be less effective. We have a much bigger bare-spot problem than a weed problem- I need something to grow! ;)

Our soil: Solid-packed red clay
Our grass: Primarily tall fescue, with some annual rye that will be dying off soon, though I'll take anything!
Seed I bought: Heat-resistant blue & fescue
Amendments I bought: Claybreaker & topsoil. I also have some compost I could mix in, as well as some Soil-Moist granules.

I'm desperate! Any ideas on how NOT to wait until fall before I can re-plant those spots?

Comments (5)