SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gaetanol

Clarify timing of crabgrass pre-emergent.

gaetanol
16 years ago

Previously on this site, I have read references to the timing of application of crabgrass pre-emergent. I've read that the application time should be between the blooming of the forsythia and the lilacs.

My preference would be putting down 0-0-0 Dimension right after the forsythia bloom, but Dimension is a restricted use herbicide in New York State. I am able to buy it from HD, but only as a weed and feed (Lesco 19-0-6). I tried buying a 0-0-0 Dimension at the local Lesco dealer, but the he could not sell it to me.

Anyway, I've also read that I should avoid putting fertilizer down before the grass has been cut 3 times, otherwise the fertilizer will encourage leaf growth over root growth.

My dilemma is that my forsythia are blooming, my lilacs look like they will be blooming in the next week or so, and my grass is still not growing(though a number of my neighbor's grass is greened up and growing).

So, I guess my questions are:

--Is there an herbicide that works as well as Dimension that is not restricted in New York State?

--Since it looks like I have to use a weed-n-feed, should I put it down now, or can I really wait closer to the point of lilacs bloomsing? Or, will doing so risk a but of crabgrass by August?

--Will putting down fertilizer really hurt my grass in the long run? My grass is a mix of KBG, PRG and some misc fescues.

Thanks,

Guy

Comments (3)