SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_weed

Southern Area Warm Season Grass Kill

texas_weed
14 years ago

Here in the southern, part of the country, particularly coastal states we have an extremely cold and long winter with lots of white stuff. In many areas record setting cold and snow falls. This has reeked havoc with are warm season grasses.

I am a sod farmer just north of the Dallas Ft Worth area, and I lost several acres of Saint Augustine grass. Not a huge problem for me as I can fix it, but it has brought up a lot of questions I see here, on other forums, and a flood of questions and inquiries at my business.

If you have noticed there has been a lot of questions about spring green up and dead grass recently on the forums, so I thought I would take a minute to discuss it, and open up a thread for Q & A.

Before you panic, keep in mind the extreme weather we had this winter. It has significantly delayed spring green up. Here just north of Dallas the Saint Augustine is just now starting to show signs of spring green up which is about 6 weeks later than usual. Bermuda grass here has just gotten green, barely, but still too cool to show much signs of growth. The Zoysia is still waiting and only sprigs of green here and there.

So do not panic if your lawns have not greened up yet. Day time temperatures need to be consistently in the 80Âs, which in my area has not happened as of yet, very unusual as we normally hit 90 this time of year.

Unfortunately for some of out friends with Saint Augustine, Centipede, and a few other very sensitive varieties of warm season grass, you might of experienced some winter kill for which there is no recovery from. If you see others with similar grass in your area greened up and your has not, it is likely your micro-climate area experienced some hard freezes that killed the grass.

So I will open it up to you guys for Q & A

Comments (7)