SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spunbondwarrior

Small Fruited Apple Varieties

spunbondwarrior
13 years ago

Hey everyone!

I am guessing that not everyone growing apples is looking for or wanting to grow large fruited apple varieties. Some of us, I would imagine, are rather interested in growing small to very small fruited highly flavored varieties instead.

That's what and where my interests are leaning towards now-a-days.... Small in size but big on flavor apples. Apples that maybe three or four of can fit in a persons pocket. Like work pants pockets, not my daughters Friday night out jeans pockets...

Lady Apple size apples, maybe a little larger.... But overall I guess what I am really interested in are what would generally be considered "little" apples.

I kind of figure that if I start in earnest now, by the time I have a few loud mouthed hungry and sugar hungry grandkids old enough to learn the difference between garbage and good food, I might have lots of yummy little tree snacks for their voracious little appetites. Especially necessary considering that growing up our kids considered themselves quite fortunate to get any candy at all, even once a month. One soda a week and one junk/fast food meal 3 Friday nights every month, and that was that.... They turned out OK....

And so, I thought it might be somewhat easier than perusing every catalog and forum I could find, and certainly much more interesting and entertaining, to ask the folks here of their opinions and experiences of and with small fruited apple varieties.

So, if you have knowledge and experience with full flavored half sized apples, especially if you're in a climate somewhat similar to that of the northern Appalachians of North Carolina, please do post your opinion and experiences here.

Oh yeah... I have this thing about Limbertwigs too, but for reasons unrelated to anything apple-wise..... The "savior" and collector of all things Limbertwig, Henry Morton, is the man who taught me how to graft. I am intent on one day having one of every Limbertwig I can find, growing here.

I had a brief fling with some red fleshed apple varieties at one time, but they just do not seem to do too well here, and, just a fairly poorly informed guess here, but it seems as if getting red fleshed fruits here, is rather dependent on us having a rather short and somewhat cool summer.... But, if you know of little red fleshed apples that are sort of Limbertwig like in their growth habit, you're about to be one of my hero's, so please do share the name and nursery with me!!!!!

OK!!!! My long winded short request is at last complete!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Comments (8)