SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfhellwig

Tecumseh oil seal replacement procedure

sfhellwig
13 years ago

I'm back. After you guys helped me repair the mower last season (needed a new coil and readjust bail switch) it gave me a few more good mows before another failure. I noticed it smelling more and more like a derby car which I thought it was just burning off old oil that I couldn't clean off. Until I looked down to see the entire cylinder bathed in oil. After looking at the cutaway from my previous repairs I believe it would be the "oil seal" as the book calls it on the top of the engine. I'm sure all of my wrestling with the flywheel didn't help it any. Question is: can it be pried out and tapped in or do I have to split the case?

I have done a front main seal on a car before, appears very much the same. But my neighbor insists that you usually go ahead and crack open the motor and do a rebuild kit. I see no point in doing that if I can avoid it. I would of course purchase the flywheel knockoff tool (couldn't ever get it off last year), a few shaft keys just in case and the seal. All of which would be pretty cheap.

Motor is a Tecumseh on a Craftsman 6.5 horse, 22" deck push mower. Tecumseh motor number 143.986500 if that helps. If anyone has links to a manual or walk through I could work with that also.

Comments (10)