SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itzbinnice

Primer Bulb Replacement On Tecumseh Carb

itzbinnice
15 years ago

Greetings All,

My senior citizen brother-in law was given a 2007 Lawnboy Model # 10685 Insight lawn mower with a 6.5 HP Tecunseh engine.

Model # LV195EA with sens-a-speed.

Year 2007

Serial 270031236

The mower looks like it was used one time, it's immaculate.

It would not start but had spark. I was suspicious it was a fuel problem since when depressing the primer bulb it didn't appear any gas was being pumped into the intake manifold.

I took the carb off and removed the bowl, everything looked brand new like gas never went through it. I then took my air hose and blew through the red plastic tube coming from the carb side that extends into the air filter assembly.

When I blew the air through the primer bulb began expanding so it appears there is no leak there. I'm not certain if I did damage to the primer circuit by doing this test.

I was able to get the engine started by pouring a small amount of gas into the throttle body. By doing so it started right up and ran well so there is nothing else wrong with the mower other than the primer not functioning.

I took the carb and gas tank to one of the local repair shops and hoped I could pick their brains but the guy was not too bright and I ended up buying a bowl o-ring and bowl nut washer, also bought a new manifold gasket. He told me there was a leak somewhere and that it wasn't holding air pressure.

He said the new gaskets should do the fix. Not so, it behaves exactly like it did before, just does not seem to be pushing any gas down the carb.

Just wondering if there is some sort of diaphragm under the rubber bulb that could be the problem. I tried to remove the bulb assembly to inspect but looks impossible to remove the round metal retaining clip that holds it. I thing by prying in there I will put a hole in the rubber bulb.

Is there a method of removing without damaging the bulb?

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to why the primer is not functioning the way it should and what other tests I can perform.

Here is a pic of the carb schematic, number 35 is the primer assembly.

{{gwi:127077}}

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor