SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
applehunter

I'm searching for a specific apple

AppleHunter
9 years ago

Hello! I am searching for a specific apple, but I only have a vague second-hand account of its attributes to go on. My mother says that her grandfather had an apple tree that produced very pale green, sometimes almost white apples that were irregular in shape, small to medium in size, with smooth waxy medium thick skin that would only very rarely blush a very pale pink. The flesh was very pale white or tinged slightly green, very firm with no mealy or soft spots, very very tart and juicy, and she says that the juice would leave a powdery or chalky feeling on her teeth and tongue.

Her grandfather never knew the name of the apples, but she says they were annual and fruited around September or October, and that she doesn't think they had a very long shelf life because every year they were harvested her aunt would make loads of apple pies with them right away.

The tree was located in Elwood City near New Castle, Pennsylvania, and the house has since been torn down. We aren't sure if the tree still stands.

Comments (11)