SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljbrandt

Zoysia problem spots

14 years ago

I've been trying to maintain a recently sodded small Zoysia lawn (previous owner) and have a few issues I'd like to address here and maybe get some good advice! I'll list them and be concise and intend to post pictures later.

1. How often to fertilize? Heard conflicting information for Zoysia...some here say only twice a year, Scotts says 3-4 times. Local Lawn Doctor wants to fertilize every 6-weeks!!!

2. There are thin spots and a larger bare area...several small thin patches of grass that don't seem to be getting thick and lush as some other areas in the yard. We've been getting great rain this year...what are some typical approaches? Most info online basically says to consult with a local lawn service to fix it...yeah right.

3. What kind of fertilizer?

4. How do you know when thach is a problem?...Aerate? Dethatching without the expensive machines?

5. Liming...? Soil is slightly acidic...is it worthwhile to lime...how sensitive is zoysia to pH?

Like I said Ill try and post some pics...I've read the Scotts lawn guide and there doesn't seem to be much specific info for zoysia grass...is there an online guide for zoysia similar to the Bermuda bible?

Thanks guys!

Comments (9)