SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blairgirl

Neighbor's regrading causing a flood

blairgirl
10 years ago

Hi, everyone...

Every so often, we get a monsoon, and then I'm reminded yet again of my neighbor's landscaping that is flooding my basement.

I live at the bottom of a hill; my only neighbor is next door, a bit higher up than me. Several years ago, said neighbor decided to add a deck to his house and relandscape it. He dug up the front yard, added sprinklers, and had his pals put sod down.

In the back, he added a deck that runs across the entire back of the house. I had wanted to add a small deck myself, but I found out I'd have to drill the footers a few feet through the concrete slab.

My neighbor didn't do that. He put a block of wood under the posts holding up the deck (I took pictures of this while he was putting it up.) After that, he took a ton of dirt into his backyard so it's now much higher than my house - it had previously been a gentle slope.

After that, he added sod and put in a fence that has an open clearance of almost a foot between the bottom of the fence and the ground, which is how high he made his land 'improvements.'

Ever since, all I get is flooding in my basement. The water pours into the rear door of the garage, and floods like the Niagara into my basement.

The sump pump failed today, and I had a half foot of water in my basement. The plumber who came to fix it said, do you know what your neighbor did? He's causing the water to flood into your house!

All I did find out was that the neighbor never got a permit for any of the work he did, including the new deck (he's a pal of the mayor, so no problemo!) The town refuses to do a thing, even though I said flooding was never a problem until this idiot completed his grand design for the backyard.

I need to know if I have any recourse, including legal recourse (against him and the town for doing nothing about building permits.)

Should I build a berm to keep the water on his side of the property?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022