SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frederick_gardener

zoysia or bermuda?

frederick_gardener
16 years ago

Having cleared the land, built a house, I'm now preparing to seed a lawn. I've looked, asked questions in the surrounding area, and have pretty much decided on Zoysia or Bermuda Grass(LaPrima blend. Can anyone offer advice as regards cutting frequency? Does zoysia have the advantage (less frequent) over the Bermuda? I don't care for a "putting green" lawn, but do want something durable, dark green, able to withstand dry spells returning green after a rain. I had a common bermuda many years ago, and was pleased with it. I've seen the zoysias and heard of its claims, but know nothing of this LaPrima Bermuda blend. Can anyone tout its virtues? Should I go with it or the zoysia?

Additional info: the land is flat, but drains fairly well. The lawn will have a good 8 hours of sun each day. Winter temps will see infrequent night-time lows of + 20 degrees fahrenheit. The soil could be regarded as sandy loamy with a bit of clay in spots. So...a daunting task...I'm open to all suggestions. I welcome any information. Regards, Fred

Comments (14)