SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddys_mom

Need Help--redoing back yard-haven't started yet

maddys-mom
15 years ago

Hi .. we are in Central IL and want to redo our backyard for numerous reasons. One, it wasn't taken care of and previously owners dog tore up. It also has little to no grass in alot of areas and what "green" there is ... is weeds. We also (don't know if this related but we seemed to have horrible mosquitoes the last two seasons .. more in back than front).

I have 2 younger kids and a swing set back there. We occasionally let the dog run loose but w/ the new yard will watch her and keep her in other area when we are not outside because she digs.

So .. here is our idea/plan. Let me know what is good, bad, and if you can give any other info .. it would be great.

We were going to get a big rear tine tiller from a friend and just till it up. We thought we should weed kill it first (roundup?) but I have seen contradicting info on this online. Then we were going to level it and get old stuff out with a rake and shovel (as it is uneven now). Then we were going to put some compost/top soil around and till it in. I guess we would then do fertilizer done? Then we thought we could use something (ladder) to pull around the yard to even it up. Then seed it with fescue/KBG? We know nothing about grass and the different types, what they look like, etc. We just know what we have researched and seems like that is a good combination of grass.

Bottom line is we don't have a lot of money so can't do a ton of compost, etc. We want to do the best we can with what we have and not waste money and have it not work.

My other bottom line is that I want to go out back and not hate my yard and tell my kids they can't go play. It's too muddy and too many mosquitoes .. so they never get to play out there. P.S. We also bought a fogger for the bugs and are hoping that does some good.

Sorry this was so long. I have never posted here before and wanted to give as much info as possible.

Jenny

Comments (2)