SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotttyd

Growing grass in a ditch

scotttyd
14 years ago

I have a fairly large lot in a rural subdivision. I have a ditch running the length of one side of my property (also on a hill). I have tried for 4 years to get a descent stand of grass and have falied using seed and straw (both fescue and bermuda). The soil is rocky, clay, and overall very poor and gets a lot of snow. I have a descent washout crevice within the ditch and am wondering what my best plan is. It does not need to look great, just a descent stand of grass to hold the soil in.

Plan 1: Using a soild erosion blanked and bermuda grass (most of my lawn is bermuda and I like how it fills in dead spots, etc). Where do you get the big commercial size blankets? It seem so dang expensive if I buy them from Lowes or Home Depot. I probably have 25 ft x 100 ft or so that would need it.

Plan 2: Sod it - although this seem like an expensive solution to a problem- I really do not need the professional look, just something to do the job. Also, I would have a ridge from the sod to the seeded part of my lawn (on both ends of the ditch)

I am leaning to plan 2 - but how do I prepare the soil? Should I till it to loosen it up, and get better contact with the soil? I do now want to haul in soil to top dress it (do not have all of the equiptment to effectively haul to much soil)

Comments (3)