SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianjohn_gw

Need lawn care advice

15 years ago

Hi,

I could really use some general lawn advice. I don't have a green thumb, and don't much enjoy spending a lot of time in my lawn, but I would like it to look half-way decent.

Ok, here goes. I live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. My yard is about 1/2 acre and most of it is on a hill. The soil consists of mostly clay. I have medium tree cover, so some parts of the yard get full sun, some get full shade and some in between. Right now the grass I have is clumpy and the ground is pretty uneven. I recently built an attached garage, and used some the dirt to even out the slopes in several parts of my yard (probably about 15% of the overall yard is now covered with dirt). This has left me with a mucky mess, but also an obligation and opportunity to do something different with the yard.

What I would like to ask is, does anyone have any opinion on what I should do with the yard? I was originally going to just sod over the areas that are covered in dirt, but I'm afraid that the grass will die because the dirt is so heavy in clay. Also, I could plant but I don't know what to plant and I don't know how to keep the seeds from running off of the hill.

Whatever I do, I'd like to be able to get the bulk of the work done in a couple weekends. I'm not set on grass, some other type of ground cover would be acceptable, but it has to look halfway decent and be neighbor-friendly.

Thanks in advance

/Brian

Comments (5)