SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
first_lawn

Crabgrass Control in Los Angeles

First_Lawn
10 years ago

I recently bought a house in Los Angeles and have been trying desperately to make the lawn more respectable. I'm about 2-3 miles from the beach so it's a very consistent 50-75 degree weather year round, with more sun than marine layer, no large trees so very little shades besides from the house/garage). I gave the lawn a good overhaul 2 years ago and it did improve. Scraped it, new seed (Bermuda Mix - Riviera, Yukon, La Prima XD) , and it got better. Over the next year, the kikuyu that was there returned as those roots must have been very strong and/or I didn't turn the soil enough times because it's back and in full force. At least I got rid of the other 8 types of grass the lawn did have so I've relinquished to the fact that I have a bermuda/kikuyu blend. I wouldn't call it a knock-out, but it's at least green and its in the shape of grass blades. :) I needed to put more seed down this year to fill in some light spots and to seed a large area where I re-graded for a fence, so I didn't do a pre-emergent this year. You guessed it, I now have crabgrass all over. I've been reading about how to kill crabgrass and it sounds like once it's emerged, I can do little to combat it besides pull what's the there, and I should wait until winter for it to die on its own and make sure to do pre-emergent the next spring. I won't really get a frost here, so will the crabgrass really die in LA? Is it too late to put down a pre-emergent? I did do one round of seeding about 4 weeks ago and have now mowed the lawn two weekends in a row. I think I'm cutting around 2". I still have about 3 pounds of Bermuda that I was going to put down again in my 900SF front yard in the summer when the heat will really help it germinate. (What else can I do with it?) Besides the unsightly giant crab grass blades that catch beautifully in the sun's rays :/, the lawn isn't nearly as bad as it was. How best can I fight the crab grass in Los Angeles where it sounds like the crabgrass will thrive all year long? (Lucky me).

Comments (3)