SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glib_gw

Technical question about apple bags

glib
12 years ago

I work in a tech field where we have to build parts every now and again. I was talking to a recently retired colleague and friend about my plans for a mini-orchard with apple bagging.

Being who we are, we started discussing the bags while googling things and soon were discussing how to make a better bag. It seems to me that one has three basic options

1) ziploc bags. They work well, but are not reusable, a definite con is that they are a pain to put on (at least for us untrained people).

2) footies. Codling moth(?) can punch through.

3) japanese paper bags. Not clear how reusable they are, and how easy they are to apply. But for sure they require you to go up the ladder once more in September for removal.

They also lower the content of quercetin and other antioxidants, by blocking the sun.

We are thinking of a device with stronger netting than footsies, reusable many times, applicable and removable with one hand and one click, basically working like one of those old coin pouches with a clickable metal lip. I would appreciate opinions as to the relative merits of reusability, minimization of work, and anything else we should consider.

Comments (41)