SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostalover67

Cool Season Grass in SC Midlands?

hostalover67
16 years ago

Hi! We have recently moved to the South from PA. We are in the process of building a house here in SC, located midway between Augusta and Columbia, just a few miles south of I-20 (Aiken Co.) We seem to be on the very southern edge of the transition zone.

Our home site is the woods--tall pines and oaks all around, so we will have at least some shady areas. We will also have an irrigation system installed.

My question: Are we out of our minds to plant cool season grass in this area? We are considering KBG or TTTF.

We are told "everyone" here plants bermuda or other warm season grasses. Maybe I'm just an old dog that doesn't want to learn new tricks, but I hate the idea that most of the yards around here still brown or just starting to green up--after all the warm weather we've had in the last weeks!

I wouldn't mind if the lawn goes dormant for a month or two in the summer, if I could have green grass the rest of the year.

So, what do y'all think? Is it even feasible? If so, what cool season grass would be better, KBG or Turf type tall Fescue?

Thanks so much for your time!

I would

Comments (25)