SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarmst100

Replacing Lawn w/ St Augustine - Annual Bluegrass Control

sarmst100
16 years ago

I have a shady backyard in SE Alabama which was originally sprigged with centipede and has many bare spots and annual bluegrass has taken over along with some common bermuda in the sunny areas. It also seems to compact very bad. I am looking at replacing it completely with St Augustine but I want to get the weeds under control during the process. What are your thoughts on my method of attack for this lawn?

My plan is to:

Step 1. Take soil samples.

Step 2. Spray Round-up in the next couple of weeks to kill off the weeds and grass.

Step 3. Spray a pre-emergent (Atrazine?) to get eleminate most of the annual bluegrass seeds on top of the soil.

Step 4. Add requirments from the soil analysis and till the soil to break up the compaction.

Step 5. Sprig or sod with St. Augustine

Step 6. Water, water, water.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am worried about the application of the pre-emeg and if it will hurt the new grass. I have damaged a lawn before using Atrazine even by following the directions precisely.

Should I add sand to the soil to keep future compaction to a minimum? Will the soil analysis tell me that?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Comments (14)