SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quirkyquercus_gw

Kentucky Bluegrass in Georgia at 11 months + pics

quirkyquercus
17 years ago

Drum roll please.

For those of you following my Kentucky Bluegrass in N. Georgia experiment, here is what I have to report after almost 11 months since it was planted. You can be the judge.

I have this grass planted mostly in a rectangular area of about 200 SF. I planted it because everyone said it will not grow here or die in the heat and I believed otherwise.

Part of this area gets morning sun and afternoon shade, part gets morning shade and afternoon sun, and there are also other parts in mostly shade and full sun.

The section that has done the best was planted in morning sun and afternoon shade. Some of this section is shown to the right.

The brown/dead grass you see was bermuda recently sprayed with roundup so it can be replaced. It has a little encroaching Bermuda in this section so I sacrified some KBG to get rid of the bermuda. Don't ask me why I photographed the dead grass, I was in a hurry.

{{gwi:117891}}

Shown here is a closeup of the grass in the morning sun/aft shade section.

This KBG seed is a mix of Midnight and Midnight II.

It was overseeded into the existing bermuda sod with no prep work whatsoever.

That could explain why germination took almost a month!

Seeing as how this was overseeding into bermuda sod, I think it's remarkable how this grass not only persisted but effectively choked out the bermuda in this location.

{{gwi:117892}}

The seed may have been laid on kind of heavy. I really have no idea but some of this grass is really thick and lush.

I gave it some starter fertilizer at planting time and in the spring I hand sprinkled very little Scott's Southern TurfBuilder (all I had) over the entire area. That was the only fertilizer it received.

{{gwi:117893}}

I am attempting to show you the under layer below the grass in this photo. I'm pretty sure this is good density. (I don't really know)

{{gwi:117894}}

In this photo you can see I rubbed out a spot in the grass to show you the layer underneath. It looks like there is a lot of dead stuff or stems down there. I don't know what the heck its from or if this is good or not. Remember this was overseeded into living sod.

{{gwi:117895}}

On to the section with morning shade and afternoon sun. This photo shows a very big problem... Bermudagrass encroachment! This encroachment was not a big deal until mid July. That's when the bermuda started to really get aggressive with the bluegrass. These photos were all taken today and there are some areas where the bermuda has choked out the bluegrass in this section. Most of the bluegrass has persisted to some degree, I'd guess it's become a 50% bluegrass and bermuda mix. But! this has only been a problem at the edges. The bermuda sod in the middle did NOT wake up from it's 7 month hibernation.

{{gwi:117896}}

More bermuda encroachment in the morning shade/ aft sun section. This particular section butts up against pure hybrid bermuda that has been fertilized throughout the summer and you can see what happens. These two grasses

don't look good together.

{{gwi:117897}}

This is in the full sun section. This is not a very good photo. I was all excited to show you this and when I loaded the photo on the computer the color is not so good. This was mowed recently at 2.5" It is pretty thick though and has remained green while the bermuda in full sun has suffered in our horrible heat and drought this summer. It's only rained here about 5 times this summer! If the KBG can survive this summer, it can survive any summer, I'm convinced.

{{gwi:117898}}

This is the real deal with boat-shaped leaves.

I'm going to overseed more bluegrass this fall and see how it does over a wider area next september. It has been said by local turfgrass experts that my bluegrass may decline 2 or 3 years after planting. Then again it has been said bluegrass will "die a crispy death" in the North Georgia/ Northern Metro-Atlanta summer climate.

{{gwi:117899}}

This was taken in July. For a while there was a very big difference in the color of the bermuda and the bluegrass but I lost my window of opportunity to photograph that. The bermuda is the shorter grass at the bottom. The

little crabgrass seen here has disappeared.

{{gwi:117900}}

This grass remained green the entire time. In the dead of winter it was green. In August the color dropped off a bit in the sunniest sections but I can tell that it has come back quite a bit with the somewhat cooler temps. I lazed out totally with watering this grass. Considering the drought, I wouldn't consider my watering regimen to be unreasonable in the least.

Here's my summary...

I planted this seed expecting it to die along with winter annuals. It didn't. This blend of Kentucky Bluegrass will grow in North Georgia, there's no longer any doubt about that. I'm satisfied with the quality of this lawn considering the brutal heat wave and drought and also because I did very little to maintain this. It's very pretty, dark green grass and that color, for the most part, never went away like with Bermuda when it's not fed. There were a few spots that had a poa annua invasion in the morning shade section. When that died out there were bare spots. They filled in with bluegrass to about 25% as of today.

This may not be best adapted to this area and may not be as durable as some warm season grasses but it certainly shows a lot of promise. I think with a better level of care than I gave it, this grass could make a really nice lawn here. Only time will tell.

This is the kind of maintenance level I can definitely live with. The grass has grown very fast but not out of control. If it needs to be overseeded every year, I still don't think that's unreasonable.

My soil test taken today indicates my soil pH is 6.5-7.0 and I'm low in the NPK department.

I'm going to expand this area to test further. So... I planted this KBG seed and it grew and kept growing and is still growing. Moral of the story, it pays to experiment.

Comments (37)

• philes21
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You might try this: fertilize it, regularly (monthly? every-other-monthly?), but at half-rate, with Milorganite, or a local equivalent sewage-sludge fertilizer. That stuff won't burn your lawn in the heat.

but you'll get better performance, and better color, out of the bluegrass.

If you're reluctant to do the whole thing, go buy one bag of Milorganite. then pick a section, about six feet long, in that narrow section you showed us, and mark it out: fertilize just that section, with a whirley hand held spreader, regularly. See how it compares next year.

Good luck with it, and nice work!

• chisey
    17 years ago

Exciting results, QQ. We've gotten more rain here in Knoxville than you have in N. GA, so I bet KBG would be doing pretty well here too. This is a very educational experiment. It makes me wonder how much the Bermuda hurt/helped the KBG survive. To clarify, I wonder how the KBG would be doing if it had been seeded on bare soil or dead turf (like in a renovation) instead of into living Bermuda. In the area above that you killed with roundup, do you plan to seed KBG directly in there? That may help answer the question by this time next year.

Thanks for your work!

• Related Discussions

Kentucky Bluegrass Mix?

Q

Comments (5)
    If you call it a down side, KBG takes 2-3 weeks longer to germinate than other seed. You have to keep watering it daily, 3x per day, until you get 80% germination. It also takes 3 years before you realize how great it looks. As with many ground covers, the first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, the third year it leaps. Another reason more people are not thrilled with it is winter dormancy. It has been demonstrated (on another forum) that over dosing it with organic fertilizer for months can overcome the dormancy as far north as Philadelphia. The following picture was taken by morpheuspa on 4/11/2011. His lawn apparently looked like that all winter. All the lawns are contractor grade KBG except morph's. He renovated with improved varietes of KBG and heavily dosed it every week with either Milorganite or soy bean meal.
    ...See More

My new lawn is dying, please help!! (PICS)

Q

Comments (16)
    "I'm not sure I agree with the idea that the lawn MUST be re-seeded, unless the OP has decided he wants a KBG lawn. The Perennial Rye that was in the original mixture will eventually predominate over the KBG, so he will end up with a mostly PRG lawn. Some people do go that route. Not sure what the recommendation is for upstate NY." The perennial rye cultivars in that mix do not spread. Any bare areas now will be bare in the fall unless some of the KBG made it and starts to spread. I said anything that survives into the fall should do well, but how much grass is left at the end of August is anyone's guess. There is nothing wrong with a PR lawn, they look great, and are easy to overseed if need be. Upstate NY is KBG country, and if it gets too cold PR can die off due to cold kill, but I have read this isn't as much as an issue as once believed. I happen to think monospecies lawns are easier to start and take care of regardless of what type you pick. My whole point is this; 2500 square feet isn't a lot of area to seed again. Most of the work has been done. Instead of having a weed filled patchy lawn, kill everything and do it over. The grass will do much better, the weed pressure will be minimal, and the lawn will be very consistent and thick into the winter.
    ...See More

kbg in georgia, tn, al, kansas!(& st. aug for lou)

Q

Comments (22)
    Bestlawn, no offense taken. I'm kind of playing it by ear. While at first I was out to prove that KBG can survive here, My big thing is that I believe in reasonable amounts of maintenance and not wasting money and not wasting time and not driving an hour away to get some professional product during business hours. There is a correlation between the performance of the grass and how much time/money I will spend on it. The minute performance goes down, the minute I leave it alone and go do something else. I don't have it in me to force the entire yard to stay green in full sun and heat in a drought when we get maybe one or two showers a month. Some people can. The golf course manage to do it. But I don't. I'm trying to simulate reasonable amounts of care to see if the grass will grow with average care. I basically follow the UGA lawn calendar for tall fescue on all the cool season grass that I have except the bentgrass which I mow much shorter. And the only reason I put so much effort into the bentgrass is because it performs. It's reasonable IMO. Auteck, please send me an email. Click on my page. I also grew up in So.Fl. and we seem to have the same tastes in flora. I can tell you about what I'm growing. It's apparent we are both allergic to tropical plants and swamp grasses. I can't stand palm trees and bananas. Some people here try to plant them. Douglas fir is a more out-westy tree. If you want to prove you're not in Miami anymore, get some balam firs, red spruce and fraser firs going. The latter two are native to the mts of western NC. I saw some this past saturday when I drove up there. I have a couple of balsam firs in my yard. also have 3 white pines. White pines are native to my area but not all that common this far to the south. You might also try out some of the cool climate birches, Betula lenta (sweet birch) and B. papyrifera (paper birch) Don't forget quaking aspen and lilac and blue spruce. These are just a handful of things people insist do not grow here. I say they're wrong. It's called reverse zone denial.
    ...See More

Why does my Kentucky Bluegrass prefer the shade?

Q

Comments (25)
    True, a persistent thatch layer in sunny spots could just be a result of faster growth creating more rhizomes & sloughing root mass more regularly. I think you already had a thread on that gle2011? If so, bump it back up & throw some new pics on there so we can see the progression. You guys are all welcome to question my answers, I'm no pathologist or even a cool weather grass guy. I do believe the simple answers are usually the right ones & a lot of people tend to think that the obvious things must be too easy. Or they just blame grubs constantly for whatever reason. Seems the big box stores have 3 or 4 stock answers for everyone & grubs are always first on that list even in the wrong season
    ...See More
  • quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's a good idea philes. I would like to use organics exclusively on my lawn but I wasn't reluctant to fertilize it, I just had a lot going on in the spring.

I have wondered the same thing Chisey. The only noticeable loss of KBG was where the Bermuda was taking over so I don't know but where the Poa annua was the KBG has started filling in the bare spot. The way I see it is if there's a month and a half or two months where bermuda outcompetes, then whooptydoo, just reseed that area and you'll be back where you started from.

And I'm not so sure having a lot of water would be all that fortunate. With already high humidity + a lot of rainfall could mean fungal diseases.

• turf_toes
    17 years ago

quirkyquercus,

Great job and awesome report. Keep us posted as the fall progresses. My guess is that your KBG will do really well as he season cools.

The other thing to consider is perhaps the KBG will recover the ground it lost to bermuda once the Bermuda goes dormant. My guess is that your KBG won't go dormant for long down in Georgia, making it likely that it could overtake the Bermuda during that period.

It will be interesting to see. You might just end up going back and forth between the two, depending on the season.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I realized this afternoon, I could probably use Image or other selective herbacide that kills Poa spp. but not bermuda. Then I could really have the best of both worlds but I might lose a month or two trying to get both back in gear. I guess that might be a backup plan.

• yankee_in_va
    17 years ago

Thank you for doing this and for sharing your results. I decided to only go with about 10% Midnight in my overseeding, but I'm still excited about that little bit.

• Billl
    17 years ago

Wow - that looks great! Way better than I would have ever expected after summer.

• jaliranchr
    17 years ago

Terrific, Quirky!

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments.

I just came back from Lowes and guess what!
    They have a few bags of Pennington Kentucky Bluegrass mix.
    And I'm not talking durablue or thermalblue or mostly fescue... This was ALL KBG. No fescue, 0% weeds and 1.98 inert matter. I don't remember the varieties but there were 3 varieties. 15 lb bags for $34.95 Lowes in Buford on the end cap shelf above the seed blankets. Maybe Pennington is reading this?

• gannimal007
    17 years ago

Ok - I've been away from gardenweb for about a year and a half and now I'm so glad that I checked back in. (I guess that's what having two kids in 3 years will do to ya).

- QQ -
    I moved out here to E. TN 3 1/2 years ago from the dallas area and have been at my wits end with having a nice lawn. Out there - I used RU to kill all of my weeds/bermuda and then plugged some st. aug. and watered and it became the envy of everyone on my block but it's not so easy up here.

My turf has been nicer than most of my neighbors (i've got an ugly K31 fescue) I just mow it high and feed it a balanced 10-10-10 in the spring but bermuda is beginning to creep in from the neighbors and I'm trying to figure out what to do ... this post has given me something to try this fall.

I'm curious about a couple of things - you stated that you have a mix of midnight, midnight II and bedazzled. Where did you purchase those seeds? You also mentioned the pennington's KBG mix - I believe my local Lowe's has that but was unable to tell the varieties of KBG inside the bag from their website - do you know what KBG seeds are in that mix?

Now a question for everybody -
    Since I'm not wanting to RU my whole entire lawn to try this - I'm thinking that I can plug aerate it and possible lay down some top dressing and then overseed with the KBG?

What do you guys think?

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gannimal07...
    Welcome Back and also welcome to the transition zone where having a decent lawn is a lot of work.

I got the Midnight seeds last year from Summit Seed. I thought I was ordering early enough this year (about a month and a half ago) and they didn't have any. I ordered some other stuff and the bulk of my seed came from Pawnee Butte where I tried to order Midnight but instead they sent me Midnight Star by mistake. By the time I realized what had happened, they didn't have any midnight. So I've actually been unable to find midnight this year. I do have some left over from last year that I might use and I have a couple lbs of Bedazzled. For the backyard, I have 6% bluegrass with midnight and boutique and that was already blended in when I got it.

The Pennington mix should say on the back of the bag on the label. The contents vary from place to place, store to store and bag to bag however from what I recollect it looked like the same KBG they put in their other blends. Merit, Baron, Cadet... not really sure but I know I remember seeing at least one of those names on the label.

As for adding the KBG, I would quickly clear out a test section with no fescue and plant nothing but KBG there and see how it does after a year. Bluegrass seed is expensive and you probably wouldn't want to mix it in with k31 since if it does do well, won't look so great anyway. Then after a year if you're pleased with how it's done, then you might want to consider replacing the k31 with a nicer blend.

• turf_toes
    17 years ago

Quirkyquercus,

You can still get Midnight II from Rose Agriseed. (The owners are the folks who ran turf-seed.com until they sold it to Scotts.)

As part of the sale, Rose Agriseed can still sell seed to retail customers.

The seed delivered to my house even came in the old Turf-seed bag.

You can reach them here:

The phone number is 503-651-2130.

• gannimal007
    17 years ago

Thanks QQ - I appreciate your input and your kind welcome.

When you say quickly clear out a test section do you mean to use RU to kill the K31, mow it close, and clear out debris for an october seeding of KBG? That's something that I may try but I'm more concerned with the bermuda that is coming in from all directions.

Right now - a majority of my lawn is the K31 but it's quickly losing out to the bermuda. I'm thinking of testing the KBG where there is bermuda ... not K31. Killing the K31 is no problem. I could cut it short a few times, RU once, or let bermuda run it's course.

I know that the K31 and KBG won't look good together but maybe a tttf and KBG would be ok ... I guess what intrigued me about your experience is that I believe that I read that you just threw KBG seed into existing bermuda? Is that right?

I've got several large patches of only bermuda where I could test that as well as killing off a section and seeing how the KBG does totally by itself.

So - for this little experiment - would it be ok if I bought the Lowe's Pennington KBG mixture or should I try to get the midnight? What else do I need besides Round Up and Starter Fertilizer?

Thanks for your help - If I'm hijacking the thread then let me know and I'll start a new one ... Thanks!

• dlcooper52
    17 years ago

We wish you well, considering ordinary KBG doesn't even do well as far south as Kentucky. Perhaps you can prove many wrong, but one season won't do it. Let us see what it looks like next Sept.

For those of you like-minded, you ought to at least consider the new (genetically-altered) KBG's by Scotts, promising great things like drought tolerance, heat tolerance,low maintenance, shade tolerance, and adaptability farther southward, namely Thermal Blue,Thermal Blue Blaze, and Dura Blue, just coming to market. I was able to buy a blend of the three from an area sod farm.

Of course, there's always marketing hype, so I'm hoping there are no nasty surprises like there have been many times before. But it seems real progress has been made, even if only by trial and error.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat-tolerant BG, even to zone 8

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I posted some links to trials and customer reviews and comments on the thermal blue in GA and AL. Maybe doing a search will turn it up.

The reason I used Midnight was because it was supposed to be more heat tolerant. I don't know about what's in the pennington mix. Last summer and prior summers there were only about 3 days each summer that were 90 degrees or higher and compared to typical summer weather in many northern states I thought I had a good chance. This summer on the other hand was brutal. Practically every day has been 90+ and it's only rained a handful of times.

I did just toss the seed by hand into live bermuda last October and it overtook the bermuda during the cool months but at the edge it was overtaken by the bermuda very rapidly beginning in July. So this will be a perennial problem for you unless you can figure out some way to keep the neighboring bermuda from encroaching. There is also supposedly turflon ester but I don't know how practical it would be to apply that. Some say to apply once a month and if I wanted to apply crap to the lawn once a month, I wouldn't have had any problem with the bermuda to begin with.

To clarify, I meant clear out a similar sized test section to what I had (+/-200sf) and plant the bluegrass there and see what happens with it. Or if you're in the mood to start from scratch, 86 everything including the bermuda and reseed with a fescue/bluegrass blend.

I really, really, really can't envision a total failure growing a bluegrass lawn in Eastern TN. Even my state's agricultural extentions say it can be used in the northern part of GA. I would suggest using midnight since it has set the standard.

You might want to pay a visit to NC's turf site and use the turf selector function to show you potential grasses. I know you're in TN, but there are places in NC with a similar climate. Just click on the county closest to you. It usually turns up a tall fescue and kbg mix. I would be the most comfortable with the tttf/kbg mix just in case in the years to follow, problems result.

By the way I think the fescue and bluegrass can prove to also be very high maintenance but it's in different areas. Will need costly overseeding each year and will need irrigation in the summer and will need frequent mowing in the spring/fall. Then again, it's a lawn that looks like a lawn all year round. At least for me. That is more reasonable to me than Bermuda.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh and I forgot to add that there are a lot of tall fescues that frankly... look a lot like KBG! So having a monostand of it really doesn't make that much sense to me in my situation. Tttf is cheaper, and it germinates faster and easier to get. On the other hand the bluegrass fills in bare spots to some extent. What originally drew me in to using it was that it can be mowed very short, unlike fescue and people kept telling me it won't survive here so naturally I wanted it even more.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just came back from Lowes the Pennington mix goes something like this
    39% Blue Bonnet
    39% Park
    19% Baron
    The rest is other

• gannimal007
    17 years ago

Thanks alot - I really appreciate all of your help. I saw the pennington seed at a lowe's when my wife and I were out about 20 miles from our home - BUT - they didn't have it at my local Lowe's when I went by yesterday morning. But, due to cost, I think I am going to try something a little different ... I'm going to try a tttf/kbg mix (mainly tttf). I bought a 3 lb bag of the rebel extend and am going to try it for my little experiment.

I've started clearing out a spot w/ RU already and plan to sow just before we get a few rainy days here in the next few weeks. I'm going to try sowing some on the part that I prepare and some straight into bermuda (and some right into where the K31 is just so I can see what it looks like together).

I'm planning on turning over the soil just a little in the bed that I'm preparing and throwing down some starter fertilizer with it as well.

Thanks alot for your help - I sure hope I didn't hijack the thread - I'll try to not be lazy and take pics of the whole ordeal if anybody's interested ....

thanks again!!!

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No apologies necessary. I'm glad if I can help.
    I think you made a good decision. You can always add more bluegrass later on.

• heelsfan
    17 years ago

Quirky, you're inspiring me to get rid of my Bermuda. Until now I thought the only economical replacement would be centipede from seed and I don't like centipede. Zoysia wouldn't be bad, but the sod is a little out of my budget. I would think your climate and mine in Coastal NC would be similar. Maybe Bluegrass would work here???

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Judging from what Bill and others have said about Coastal NC, I think you got more humidity and a broad extreme of temps... warmer in the summer and possibly cooler in the winter. Despite your zone 8 status. BUT, I went to the NCSU turffiles site and clicked on "home lawn/high profile" for Onslow county (just taking a guess) and it shows fescue/kbg mix as being an option for that county. There's only one way to find out and that's to experiment.

I don't dislike Centipede. I haven't found it to be cheaper either. In fact this local Nursery sells the Centipede sod for more than Bermuda. Click here
    I think the higher cost is due to there being a shortage.
    There's nothing to be ashamed of with centipede. Its requirements are few. To tell you the truth, if it was evergreen, it would be my first choice for the backyard. So if I'm not successful with the fescue/kbg back there I might be using that instead.
    As for zoysia... still another very high maintenance grass. It may be better at choking out weeds and have a slightly longer growing season. The only zoysia I like is Emerald though.

By the way I wonder if my elevation has anything to do with my results... I'm at about 1200'

• heelsfan
    17 years ago

Yep, your elevation could help. You're at 1200 ft and I'm at 12 (literally). I am in Brunswick Co (between Myrtle Beach, SC and Wilmington, NC. I live on a barrier island and our temps are much milder than just 15 miles inland. In the summer we're about 5-10 degrees cooler and in the winter about 5-10 degrees warmer than the surrounding areas.

I think I may experiment with some KBG and maybe some TTTF.

• auteck
    17 years ago

I'm in zone 7 (central NC) summers here are mild for the most part, but in the past few years there have been somewhat hot during the month of July and August. Our average high during the month of July (the hottest month in NC) is 89F, and our average low is 69F. Our yearly rainfall is 45 plus inches, with July being the wettest.. Our soils are mostly heavy clay. We get our first frost by mid October, and a freeze before Halloween.

I currently have 100% Kentucky bluegrass in my front lawn, and a blend/mix of KB, Red Fescue, TT Fescue, Perennial Ryegrass in my backyard - all growing happily in semi shade conditions. The blends I use are the following:

Galaxy KB with is comprised of: blackstone, Midnight, Serene, Unique, and Midnight II. The latest blend for Galaxy KB is Midnight II, Moonlight, and Prosperity. They produce a medium to fine leaf texture, and a very dark green color under high maintenance (a lot of fertilizer) I'm pleased with results thus far. The lawn went semi dormant for 3 weeks in August because it did not rain for 2 strait weeks. But as soon as moisture arrived, it turned green right away. The dark green color that Kentucky Bluegrass are known for did not return until October despite the cooler temperatures, fertilizer, and heavy rains.

I believe you can successfully grow KB in Northern Georgia, it just needs a little more maintenance, water, and care than Tall Fescue during high heat.

I have plenty of pictures if anyone wants to see, just email me at xlemos@msn.com

• auteck
    17 years ago

BTW, I'm in Cary, NC. Just west of Raleigh, and about 400 feet above sea level.

I'm also doing an experiment with Perennial Ryegrass. I seeded an area of about 1000 sf with Allaire II PR. I will know next summer if it survived. So far is doing awesome. The color is not as dark green as Fescue or Bluegrass, other variaties of PR are just as dark as Bluegrass.

Can someone else experiment with Perennial Ryegrass as well? Specially those in the mid section of the Southern US.

• tarheel23
    17 years ago

Heelsfan, I'd be very surprised if you have success with KBG and fescue on Oak Island.

• auteck
    16 years ago

Where exactly is Oak Island? Any updates on that Bluegrass in GA?

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Auteck, I'm experimenting with Perrennial rye now. I'm awaiting germination on a little behind the house to see how it looks. There is also someone else in the DC area growing it. I actually have some annual rye that I planted mid winter that is still alive and growing.

If you haven't been following my other posts or updates on 'my page'
    the bottom line is the best looking grass I have right now is the Bluegrass that's now on it's second year. The section in shade did get rusty in Nov or Dec but it cleared up after a couple apps of immunox. The fescue & bluegrass mix in backyard which I planted in the fall and overseeded in the spring due to rabbit damage is dormant in spots due to not having any rain and putting down too much fertilizer. The areas that have turned brown are where the sprinklers don't reach too good. Some of it has come back after running the sprinklers for much longer.

The second best looking grass I have right now is the creeping red fescue. That stuff is beautiful. Shows no signs of stress at all.

The bentgrass started to look really rough on the side closest to the street but it appears to be coming back too. This would be consistent timing with quality ratings that show a big dip in may and june.

I'm not ready to call anything a failure. Especially since I'm still waiting on the bermuda to completely green up.

• heelsfan
    16 years ago

Wow, I can't believe this thread found its way back to the top.

Anyway, I have tried my experiment. Last October I seeded about 200 sq ft with a Pennington Tall Fescue/KBG mix from Lowes. It came up fairly nice and looked good during the mild winter.

Anyway, it is already starting to brown up. I have it on irrigation, but I believe the soil is just too sandy to keep the grass alive under normal watering conditions. I would probably have to water it at least twice daily to keep it alive. Plus, my Bermuda is starting to creep into it. The hright of the mix hasn't affected the Bermuda at all. It's creeping with the growth almost visable daily. My guess is it is loving all of the water I'm dumping on the mix.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Loving this, Quirky. Any updates for us?

Heelsfan, give the sandy soil compost or peat moss. That'll help.

• tarheel23
    16 years ago

auteck,

Oak Island is a small barrier island near Southport NC. I'm not sure heelsfan was referring to Oak Island. I was just guessing.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Loving this, Quirky. Any updates for us?"

I just posted one around 3:04pm today. Look back a couple of replies.

Heelsfan, that kind of stuff wasn't happening here until August last year. Sandy soil is tough. I know compacted clay can be a real p.i.t.a. but I wouldn't trade it for sandy soil.
    Anyway it looks like the cool season isn't a long enough season for you to make it worthwhile. Did you pass the break even point?

• auteck
    16 years ago

I'm working part time on a Golf Course, and the greens there are bentgrass grown on full "turf sand" soil with "some" peatmoss". They are irrigated every morning, and during the summer months, they are irrigated in the afternoon to cool the turf from the intense heat.

The sandy soils do not hold water very well, the clay soils hold water very well, but when they get dry, they do NOT absorb water right away. It's almost like a clay pot...

I believe the soil is the key to a healthy lawn, that is able to hold moisture and provide nutrients to the lawn.

Stray clay in the middle of the summer will NOT hold water well - specially after a drought.

Can we have some pictures of the Perennial Ryegrass and some updated pictures of the Kentucky Bluegrass in GA?

Thanks, guys. Awesome thread...

• heelsfan
    16 years ago

tarheel, that's the one.

auteck, sorry. I meant to put that inmy previous post.

• auteck
    16 years ago

Updated pictures, please.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Auteck, I've been warned against afternoon "watering" as opposed to light "misting". Which one are you doing?
    I will try to get some updated pictures for you.

heelsfan,
    I just came back from columbia, SC which is only 4 hours drive from here and what a difference in climate.
    It has rained here twice in the last 2 months yet yesterday in SC I got thunderstormed on 8 times in one day. It was like a rain forest. That is the kind of humid coastal plain weather that puts that tropical swamp grasses into high gear and we haven't had that here and we don't normally even get that kind of weather until August. If you're having or have had that kind of hot humid weather with temps in the mid 90's and above then that really isn't what I'm having to contend with.
    I did see some tall fescue that actually looked like it was in excellent shape though.

• auteck
    16 years ago

Afternoon watering is only ok to cool the turf on a hot summer day, our regular watering occurs every morning around 6 am during the summer.

The bent gets cut every day during the growing season, even if is wet from irrigation.

Golf courses do things very different from homeowners - I'm learning...

• david742
    15 years ago

Sorry for bringing back an old post but, any word on how the grass is doing after a few years of drought? I am planning on planting here in the next few months and if the KBG midnight is still doing ok I plan on throwing some down. By the way, where is a good place to get ahold of some midnight in northeast Atlanta (Winder) Ga.? Thanks for the help as I am tired of having an acre of clay. One place I talked to said they quit selling it in the fall because it wasnt coming up and they had to take care of the warranty.