SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parafly9

couple spring questions for new kbg lawn up in ma

parafly9
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Not sure if you remember or not but i was part of the "renovation crowd" last winter. Anyways, spring is upon us, and I have a few questions.

1. When to fertilize? the grass is starting to green up and we are supposed to have a nice week. We've had a lot of rain so I haven't turned on the sprinkler system. we still may have a handful of below freezing nights althought it is getting unlikely. My trees are starting to bud but no leaves yet.

2. My dog ran up and down the front yard on the worst of days, trampling some of my new lawn. i figured it would be OK because it was dormant and under the snow, but apparently it got flattended pretty good. Do you think it will come back? I didn't run him in the front all the time, but I did sometimes.

3. my dog also peed on the yard in the winter. Usually it was onto snow. I normally have him pee in the woods next door but when it's coldy ou know I like to let him out and stay in the house while he goes :) So i have a couple of "spots" in the lawn (I didn't think they would be that bad!). Any problem with that? Or will they fill in in short order?

4.I want to use a pre-emergent but I have a couple areas that are thin. am I Ok to rely on the tillering of the grass to fill those in? That isnt affected by the preemergent right?

5. I noticed my lawn isn't greening up evenly. I have patches of much greener areas. this makes me nervous. I'm positive I killed all the grass last year so is it normal that some areas are just greening up quicker than others?

thanks all, hope you have a succesfull spring!

Comments (11)