SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Alocasia x Amazonica leaf rot?

amccour
16 years ago

I've been keeping this alocasia inside in a pot because it's been rather cold outside. It's mostly been doing pretty well, except about two weeks ago one of the leaves started to rot. I say rot because it didn't wilt -- it turned mushy and black. I cut off the rotted part, and the leave seemed okay for awhile, but eventually the whole thing went.

Lately, then, I've noticed another rotten-looking patch on another leaf. It's somewhat dry, and not mushy and doesn't readily break apart on touch, but it's still quite bothersome.

The three things I'm guessing would be the main culprits are a lack of humidity, too little water, or two much water.

As for the water, I'm not exactly sure how much it needs. I've heard some alocasias prefer to be in standing water, although I believe that's only the ones that form larger "stalks?" I haven't, otherwise, seen any wilting or anything. The black spots sound like what I've heard staghorn ferns can get if overwaterd, but I've heard that alocasias are much more susceptible to tuber-rot.

I also had two very, very small stalks and leaves coming up next to the two "main" stalk groups. These small ones were maybe three inches tall? Anyway, one of the leaves on that turned brown. The second one came up quite a bit later and is still doing okay. I'm not really sure what those are doing there, why the one turned brown, and if this is an extension of the main plant or some second plant that just ended up in the same pot by mistake.

Comments (3)